Workout #5 – Running basics
I am often told by clients ‘I can’t run’ which is true for about 1% of them, for the other 99% the truth is running requires progress and to achieve that progress you have to push yourself to an uncomfortable place, again and again – which causes most people to give up and say ‘I can’t run.’
However, there is a way to speed up this progress and reduce the amount of time you spend in the uncomfortable zone and it’s called tempo running, so lets go over the basics;
1. Understanding your gears – Just like cars, when we walk/ run we also have gears and they are connected to your individual effort levels. First gear, for example is comfortable conversational pace – this could be walking for one person or jogging for someone else. I use a 1 – 10 scale with my clients. 1=minimum effort, 10=maximum effort.
2. Warm up – This is vital to how ‘good’ you are going to feel on your run, start in your first gear, no higher than 3/10 for 5 minutes. Once the 5 minutes is up, stop and complete some dynamic stretches like swinging your legs, circling your arms and standing on one leg hugging your knee.
3. Tempo running – Now you are warm it’s time to add structure to your run. Start with 2 minutes in a higher gear ideally 8/10 on the effort scale this is where you can only comfortably speak 4 words without taking a breath. Once the 2 minutes is up give yourself 90 seconds to 2 minutes recovery time to bring your effort level back to a 5/10 then repeat the process 3-5 times. I warn you each one will get harder so your pace will slow but your effort level should always be the same.
4. It’s okay to walk – The only thing you need to focus on during this type of running is your effort level, if you are half way through a tempo run and you feel like you’re hitting 9/9.5 out of 10 then slow down until you come back to an 8/10. Running like this sets much more realistic goals, meaning you are more likely to enjoy the process and keep at it.
5. Core work – You’re already hot and sweaty so an extra 5 minutes won’t feel like much but strengthening your core will make running much easier, try this post core workout;
5. Cool Down – Hold stretches for 30 seconds, especially lower body like reaching for your toes, lying on your front and pulling your heel to your bum and sitting placing the soles of your feet together and letting your knees relax down.
6. Recover, Acknowledge and Plan – This stage is almost always forgotten, but vital if you want to become ‘a runner.’ Recover with water first, until you run 90 minutes+ you won’t need anything else, then acknowledge what you achieved, did you go faster than last time? Did you do 3 minutes instead of 2? It’s important to recognise your progress and finally plan your next run because progress builds momentum so don’t waste any of that post run buzz!
Like our DayOne Wellness Facebook page for up-to date Park Runs where Pip and Tom are there to support you.
Day One Wellness
Making sustainable health, Simpler.