Eat that Veg!
At DayOne Wellness we often talk about the importance of eating; ‘more nutrients and less chemicals’ in the quest for better mental and physical health. Batch cooking Ratatouille is a great way to ensure you always have a topping for a spud, a sauce for some pasta (or courgetti spaghetti) or a delicious side for almost any meat, fish or vegetarian accompaniment.
You will need.
A knife, chopping board, saucepan.
Ingredients – serves 4-6.
- 1 large aubergine
- 2 courgettes
- 2 red/ yellow peppers
- 1 large (or two small) red onion
- 6 large vine-ripened tomatoes
- Basil (dice the stalks)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 lemon
- Tofu (optional)
- Prepare all ingredients by chopping them into chunky pieces.
- Heat the coconut oil in a wide saucepan, add the aubergine, followed by the courgettes and peppers and fry for 5 minutes.
- Set aside the cooked veg in a bowl, turn the heat to low then go in with onions, garlic, basil leaves stalks. You may want to add a small splash of water to deglaze the pan at this point. Then pop a lid on and leave the onions to sweat for 5 minutes – stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add the tomatoes and tinned tomatoes and return the rest of the veg to the pan. Add the vinegar and season with salt and cracked black pepper. Mix well, turn the heat to low and pop the lid back on for 30-35minutes stirring occasionally.
- TO SERVE: Add the tofu to warm through for 3-5 minutes at the end, then tear the remaining basil leaves, finely grate the zest of 1/2 a lemon serve.
My favourite ways to eat ratatouille are on top of a sweet potato jacket, mixed into some lentil or pea pasta or I’ll add some pulses to it and enjoy it as a nourishing one bowl dish. It’s also one of my favourite things to batch cook along with this roasted veg and cauliflower steaks recipe.
Suggested reading: Prep day – why the healthy stay healthy.
Thanks for visiting our recipe page, now it’s over to you – Happy cooking!
Dedicated to empowering others to eat more veg!
Pip & The DayOne Wellness Team
Educate yourself first. Empower others through your actions. Exceed together!
We’re creating a national movement to ‘Recalibrate’ the Wellbeing of over 100,000 people in the UK from overweight and overwhelmed to overflowing with body confidence and vibrant mental health. Find out more here.